Sunday 13 August, 2017
STOKE produced a solid all-round display to defeat the Buxton Hitmen 50-40 at Hi-Edge Raceway in the Travel Plus National League on Sunday afternoon as they took all four points that were on offer.

A.R. Richards team manager Adam Isherwood who stepped in to replace Malcolm Vasey who had broken down on route to the meeting was delighted with his sides performance saying “It is an absolutely brilliant four points for us that’s what we set out to get at the start of the meeting and that is what we got. We had a quick team meeting at the beginning of the meeting and talked about their top two riders and agreed that we needed to hit them when Matt (Williamson) and Max (Clegg) were not in those races and the plan worked because they are two very good riders around here. Everyone performed around here today from one to seven and I really could not single anyone out because all performed as we know they can. Here at Stoke we need everyone to do a job we do not have the super stars that some clubs have but we do have a unit that is everyone does their job then we can surprise quite a few teams but it only takes one to have an off night especially away from home and today that happened and we have come away with the points.”

The Potters opened-up a ten-point lead in the opening three heats after Matt Williamson fell on the first turn of the opening heat allowing Mitchell Davey and Paul Burnett to gain a maximum 5-1 advantage which also was gained by former Hitmen Luke Priest and Tony Atkin in heat three with Ryan Terry-Daley beating Ryan Kinsley in heat two with Shaun Tedham third.

Max Clegg stopped the Potters in heat four as he romped to his first of four wins and a second to complete a paid maximum for the Hitmen along with Williamson who after his first ride also remained unbeaten by an opponent as the Potters filled in the minor placings when the Hitmen duo were out.

At the midway point of the meeting the Potters had a 29-19 lead and the Potters pushed on with their advantage taking a 4-2 from Lee Dicken and Terry-Daley over Tom Woolley with a further 4-2 from Arkin and Terry-Daley in heat twelve giving the Potters a 43-29 lead with three races remaining.

Clegg and Williamson took the honours in heat thirteen over Dicken to reduce the Potters lead to ten points, but Stoke sealed the maximum four points on offer as Terry-Daley and Priest combined to take a 5-1 in heat fourteen. Williamson and Clegg again took maximum points but it wasn’t enough to stop the Potters sending their supporters home with a smile on their faces.

Luke Priest commented “It was an excellent performance by us today we have been so close to coming away with points in matches and just fell short and we felt today it was vitally important to get the points especially as we’ve not had the best of results for a while and it was good to get a victory especially on an away track and with the mountain we have to climb against Mildenhall on Saturday today has really given us all a boost going into the meeting against the Fen Tigers.”

BUXTON 40: Max Clegg 14+1, Matt Williamson 11+1, Tom Woolley 8, Lee Geary 3, Ryan Kinsley 2, Ben Woodhull 1+1, Jamie Halder 1.
STOKE 50: Tony Atkin 10+1, Ryan Terry-Daley 10, Paul Burnett 8+2, Luke Priest 7+3, Lee Dicken 7+1, Mitchell Davey 6+1, Shaun Tedham 2+1.